manjimup bank robbery 1932

by:Runcheng Chuangzhan     2019-08-08
Don\'t panic.
This year is 1932.
Local historian John Steward tells the story of manjimo celebrating 100 anniversary of the local government this year.
John Stuart, a local historian and author of the past and present of mangimoop, has many wonderful stories about the town\'s past.
This is one of the most dramatic events.
The day the Bank of New South Wales was robbed and lost its life.
Caught in action.
By John StewardBang! Bang!
On the door of the police station. \"Bill! Wake up!
There are people in the bank.
I think they are robbing!
Police officer Bill Harvey jumped out of bed at the age of 2.
At 30 in the morning, the night watchman employed by the town\'s merchants, George staki, opened the door.
George told Bill, \"there is a strange car on the driveway behind the bank, and it sounds like at least two guys are inside, without any benefit.
I know Ron Baker is out on the weekend so he is not.
\"Go back and look after it before I get there, George.
Bill rushed in and quickly put on his clothes and said.
He picked up his service revolver and ran out towards the bank two blocks from the other end of the street.
The town of manjimupp was established in 1932 for 22 years, and although it is still a fairly rough and ready-made \"timber town\", it is quite conservative and has no crime.
Constable Harvey, the only officer in town, lives in the humble police station next door to a very small wooden police station with two cells \"locked\" behind it \". At 2.
This Sunday morning at 30 am 24th Apr i1l932, the streets in the bright moonlight are deserted without any unusual sounds.
Constable Harvey was in the first block of the Gillette Street business district, and then joined the waiting George staki along the back lane.
The New South Wales Bank, composed of manager Leslie Gerrard and teller Ron Baker, is a small building on the south end of Gillette Street.
There is an ordinary wooden door at the back, which leads to the backyard, followed by the back lane, while the front entrance of the bank is the wooden door leading to the sidewalk.
Constable Harvey checked the motor vehicle in the roadway after hearing the metal noise and low sound in the car at the back door.
Its license plate shows ylrmb that does not match the windshield registration.
There is a suitcase and some shoes in the car.
He instructed George to stay and watch the back door when he turned to the front door on Gillett Street.
The front door has signs of forced entry and grinding noise can be heard from inside the bank.
Constable Harvey instinctively turned around the street and saw a figure in the shadow of the pine tree on the other side of Gillett Street. \"Who are you? \" Bill shouted.
No reply was received and he repeated the question as the man continued to move towards him firmly.
There is still no reply, so far the man has passed half of the street, only 20 feet away.
Officer Harvey could see that he was a tall man in a dark coat, holding a hat low, and a white handkerchief on the lower half of his face.
Bill Harvey raised his revolver to the waist and shouted. \"Police here! Put \'em up.
\"But not recognized.
The man is now only about 12 feet away, taking out a revolver from his pocket with his right hand and aligning its shoulder height to Officer Harvey. P. C.
Harvey fired his weapon from the waist without aiming, and the man fell back to the ground without moving.
Three shots in a row from behind the bank, Bill ran in that direction and shouted, \"Are you all right, George. ? \" \"Yes. OK. \"Is the answer.
George heard the sound at the front door, and the back door opened as soon as a shot rang. \"Stop!
George made a phone call and fired a shot from the open door.
The door closed, and when George opened again, he fired another shot at the opening, and then another shot into the air to attract attention. No one emerged.
Bill Harvey joined George, and immediately after hearing what had happened, went to the front door that was now open.
When Bill and George were checking in the back, the people inside had enough time to run away.
All this noise and activity awakened Wiliam Sproge, who slept on the balcony of his home on Rose Street, behind the bank building.
He quickly put on his clothes and ran to the front of the bank where he met Bill Harvey, who told him what was going on.
Officer Harvey and Officer William Springer went to check the unconscious man on the ground.
He lay on his back with his right hand sticking out and his left hand in his coat pocket.
Under him was covered with a white handkerchief and gloves.
There was a bullet mark on his forehead.
Neither one knows him.
He had a revolver under his right arm and the bullet was empty.
The left hand in the pocket is holding a half-stuffed Gelegnite with a hat on it and ready to launch.
Constable Harvey was satisfied that the man had shot him, but it was confirmed that the revolver had been taken from the bank and that a room had been empty for security reasons.
This may have saved Constable Harvey\'s life.
Officer Harvey and officer spoogi entered the bank from the open front door and saw a scene of chaos and welding smoke.
The safety deposit box is covered with a part of the railway tarpaulin, kept in place by two chairs, one on the top of the safety deposit box and one on the front. An oxy-
The acetylene cutting device for its torch has been put into operation.
A box of matches and several used matches in the molten metal on the floor below burned a hole in the security door near the lock below.
Ronald Baker, a bank teller, usually sleeps in a hotel, but luckily he didn\'t visit a friend that night.
His Pillow was deeply sunken by the impact of a large wrench and tire rod, which was where his head was.
There was evidence that the deceased was the only one to enter that room.
He took the revolver from the wardrobe there and apparently wanted to kill or hurt the occupants who assumed to sleep on the bed. Doctor M. F. (Bill)
Williams of Jardee received a phone call to the bank where he took care of the injured man and sent him to the hospital.
The man was operated by Dr. Williams but did not return to consciousness and died at the age of 5.
45 that morning.
The death caused by bullets entering his brain.
About two years ago, Percy Fulton Preston and Clarence Edward Roda worked together to find jobs across the country.
They did not succeed in the mangiumpudi district, and in Harvey they met Martin Keane, and when they returned to Fremantle at the immigration home, they met Martin Keane again
On April 22, Keane raised the question of robbing the Bank of New South Wales in manjimupu.
Preston can provide some information about the layout of the bank, just as he discussed money in the manager\'s office a few weeks ago.
That night, three people stole a car from Ricker Street in Fremantle and went on to steal an oxygen
From the acetylene cutting plant on a Navy dredge located between the railway and the traffic bridge of the Swan River.
Keane drove south through amadale to donibrook, where they camped in the bushes and replaced the registration plate.
They left Donnybrook on Saturday night and crossed Bridgetown at about 10.
At 30 p. m. , get off at the side board of the Palgarup railway and steal a tarp from the van.
Arrive at Manjimup at about 1.
At zero o\'clock A. M. on Sunday, they stopped behind the train station to scout along Gillette Street, which runs through the bank and Moore\'s garage, as Len\'s duty watch observed in the garage.
The trio waited until all the lights were out in the garage, the street was quiet, and then parked the car in the roadway behind the bank.
After forcing the front door before, they now force the back door so sharp that Preston can bring the oxygen plant into the bank and let Preston operate.
Keen walked into the back room, stole a revolver from the wardrobe, then went to the front of the House and remained vigilant from across the street under the shadow of pine trees.
Preston and Roda barely started working on the safe, and when the night watchman George staki was attracted to the strange car in the roadway, he observed the attempted robbery and
Preston Roda did not know what was going on until Constable Harvey\'s gun fired.
They immediately put everything down, went to the back door, greeted the shouting \"stop\" from Starkie, and shot from the open door.
The second attempt brought the same response and extra shots.
They tried the front door, and no one was within sight, separated, ran into the nearby bushes, and observed \"some things\" lying on the ground not far from the door \".
This is of course the leader of their injuries and loss of consciousness.
Roda was completely lost, but eventually went to Bridgetown.
Here, he hid in a railroad van under tarps until he was found and arrested at the age of 3.
Three days later of April 27 fifteen o\'clock A. M.
Preston, in order to escape, he also went to Bridgetown, and on a phone call at Sawyer farm in yorupp on Sunday afternoon to say that he was going to manjimopop and that he was hungry.
Mr Sawyer gave him some food and knew nothing about the robbery and advised him to go to the police station where they would \"give him a file for the night \"!
Leaving yorupp Preston for Bridgetown, hiding from a police search, was finally arrested in Fremantle.
Both Roda and Preston have admitted the charges of trying to rob the Bank of New South Wales at manjimap and have been sentenced to imprisonment.
The instigator of the attempted robbery, Martin Keane, was born on November 1909 in St. George, Queensland.
He is 5 feet 11 inch tall with dark brown hair and blue eyes.
He works as a car mechanic and is looking for a job in Western Australia.
Martin Keane lies in an unmarked beggar\'s grave at the manjimupp cemetery.
His plan to get rich quickly led him to end his life at the age of 22.
Constable William Harvey was relieved of all responsibility associated with Keane\'s death.
On May 19, 1932, coroner Crockett made a reasonable killing judgment in the investigation, saying that Constable Harvey fired and killed Martin Keane in the process of carrying out his duties and protecting his life.
Bill Harvey was later transferred to the metropolitan area to stay in South Perth with his family until he retired.
The above-mentioned statement about the attempted robbery of the Bank of New South Wales at manjimop on April 24, 1932 was taken from the report of the Coroner L. L.
Crockett\'s investigation into the death of Martin Keane on May 19, 1932 in manjimupe and the subsequent police court hearing in front of Mr. Mel on the same day. C. I.
Peace judge duster and James Barry
Custom message
Chat Online 编辑模式下无法使用
Leave Your Message inputting...